Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- Barrister, Chief Justice, Judge, Lawyer and Solicitor
Antoinette Kennedy was the first woman judge to be appointed in Western Australia when appointed to the Bench of the District Court in 1985.
Justice Antoinette Kennedy has been a leader and a mentor in the legal profession and has achieved many 'firsts' that have allowed others to follow in her footsteps.
- She was the only woman from her year at high school to attend university
- She was the only woman from her graduating class at the University of Western Australia to gain articles of clerkship
- She was the second woman to join the Independent Bar in Perth to practise as a barrister
- She was the first woman judge to be appointed in Western Australia when appointed to the Bench of the District Court in 1985
- She was a founding member of Women Lawyers of Western Australia Inc. (she ahs been a Patron of that group since 1999)
- She was the first woman to be appointed Chief Judge of the District Court of Western Australia in 2004.
Sources used to compile this entry: Fletcher, Catherine, An Interview with Chief Judge Antoinette Kennedy, UWA Law Review, 2010, 197-203 pp, http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/UWALawRw/2010/8.pdf.
Prepared by Larissa Halonkin
Created: 27 January 2016, Last modified: 4 August 2016