Woman Milliken, Sue
- Film producer and Television producer
Written by Kathryn Mcleod, National Film and Sound Archive
Sue Milliken's career in film began at the ABC in the 1960s working in the continuity department. She began working freelance in continuity and as a production manager, and by the late 1970s had established herself as an independent producer. Her body of work includes the feature films The Odd Angry Shot (1979), The Fringe Dwellers (1985), Black Robe (1991), Sirens (1994), Dating the Enemy (1995) and Paradise Road (1997). She has also produced the TV Movie My Brother Jack (1999) and over sixty episodes for the US sci-fi TV series Farscape (1999-2003).
In addition to her work as a producer, she is a former chair of the Australian Film Commission and has served on the board of Screen West, been President and Vice President of the Screen Producers' Association of Australia and served as a member of the Film and Literature Censorship Board of Review.
Milliken won the Australian Film Institute's prestigious Raymond Longford Award in 1993, and in 2008 she was awarded the Officer of the Order of Australia for 'service to the film and television industry through a range of organisations, as an advocate for the development of the industry, for support and encouragement of Indigenous film makers, and as a producer' (Australia Day 2008 Honours List).
Milliken is currently the Cinema Pioneer's National President for 2013, and has a memoir Selective Memory, due for publication in 2013.
- 'Sue Milliken', in Internet Movie Database (IMDb), Amazon.com, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0589738/. Details
- 'Sue Milliken', in Australian Screen, National Film and Sound Archive (NFSA), 2013, http://aso.gov.au/people/Sue_Milliken/. Details
- Ms Susan Kathleen (Sue) MILLIKEN,, Officer (AO) in the General Division of the Order of Australia, http://www.gg.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/honours/ad/ad2008/Media%20notes%20AO%20%28final%29-web.pdf. Details
- Milliken, Sue, 'About Sue Milliken', in Sue Milliken: A Life In Films, 2013, http://suemilliken.com/about-sue-milliken/. Details