The Victorian Trained Nurses Association was first constituted in 1901.
According to a newspaper article in The Argus on 6 July 1901, the objectives of the Association were:
- To establish a system of registration for trained nurses.
- To promote the interests of trained nurses – male and female – in all matters affecting their work.
- To establish a uniform systems of training and examination for nurses.
- To afford opportunities for discussing subjects bearing on the work of nursing.
- In due course to arrange for schemes that will afford to nurses a means of providing an allowance during incapacity for work caused by sickness, accident, age, or other necessitous circumstances.