Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Membership organisation
The Victorian Medical Women's Society (VMWS), the pioneer medical women's organisation in Australia, was founded in 1896 as the Women's Medical Association, at the University of Melbourne Medical School. It was established to forge a closer relationship between medical women graduates and undergraduates and to promote the interests of medical wome and further their professional development by education, research and improvement of professional opportunities.
By 1898 it had evolved into a postgraduate society, with meetings held in the consulting rooms of members. In 1927 it formed part of the Australian Federation of Medical Women. It continues to promote the health and welfare of all Australians, in particular women and children.
It promotes the health and welfare of all Australians, in particular women and children.