• Entry type: Organisation
  • Entry ID: AWE3957

Canberra Women’s Bowling Club

(From 1957 – 1992)
  • Occupation Sporting Organisation


Inaugurated on October 10th, 1957, the Canberra Women’s Bowling Club was the first all women’s bowling club in Canberra. Prior to its formation, only the wives or sisters of Canberra City Bowling Club members could play the sport, so one aim of the women’s club was to open it to more participants.

Located on Wentworth Avenue, in the Canberra suburb of Kingston, the first green was installed in 1958 and the second in 1969. The clubhouse was officially opened on 25th February 1961. Until the opening of the Kingston green and clubhouse, members played on the Parliament House green, at the Canberra Bowling Club and on the private green at the Victoria Hotel in Queanbeyan.

The Canberra Women’s Bowling Club’s closure in 1992 was occasioned by dwindling membership and inflation. Membership peaked during the 1960s at about 136 and later dropped to 46.

Published resources

Archival resources

  • ACT Heritage Library
    • HMSS 0001 Canberra Women's Bowling Club Papers

Related entries

  • Related Concepts
    • Women in Sport