- Nationality Australian
- Born 27 September, 1931, Collie Western Australia Australia
- Died 27 March, 2008, Bassendean Perth Western Australia Australia
- Occupation Media executive, Parliamentarian
A member of the Australian Labor Party, Ruth Coleman was elected as a Senator for Western Australia in the Senate of the Parliament of Australia, in 1974. She was one of only five women in the federal parliament at that time. On her retirement in 1987, there was some improvement in the numbers of women in the parliament; seventeen in the Senate and eight in the House of Representatives. A member of the Left wing of the Labor Party and a feminist, Ruth Coleman actively campaigned against uranium mining and fought to improve the position of women in Australian society.
- Trove: Coleman, Ruth Nancy (1931-2008), http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-758091
- National Library of Australia
- State Library of Western Australia