- Born 1 January, 1926, Hughenden Queensland Australia
- Died 31 December, 2017, Townsville Queensland Australia
- Occupation Community stalwart, Pastoralist
Shirley Eckford was nominated for the ABC Rural Woman of the Year Award in 1995, for the Carpentaria district in Queensland.
She was a community stalwart in the Julia Creek area, having been awarded the Australia Day Citizens Award twice, the Queensland Day Community Service Award once and maintaining an extremely active profile in the community arts sector, including teaching pottery. In 2007, Julia Creek’s centenary year, she researched and published a history of the district that was launched by the then Governor of Queensland, Quentin Bryce. She was received an Order of Australia Medal in 2010 and continued to live in Julia Creek until her final years in aged care in Townsville.
- 1995 - 1995
- Trove: Eckford, Shirley (1926-), http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1477577
- Shirley a shining light in Julia Creek, Burton, Reg, 2009, http://nqr.farmonline.com.au/news/state/agribusiness-and-general/general/shirley-a-shining-light-in-julia-creek/1650459.aspx?storypage=0
- Brilliant Ideas and Huge Visions: ABC Radio Australian Rural Women of the Year - 1994-1997, Australian Women's Archives Project, 2011, http://www.womenaustralia.info/exhib/rwya/rwya-home.html