- Occupation Philanthropic organisation, Religious organisation
The Australian Board of Missions formed in 1850 with the aim of converting the indigenous peoples of the islands around Australia to the Anglican faith. In 1910 it was decided to employ women in a fund-raising capacity by forming the Women’s Auxiliary to the Australian Board of Missions. Beginning in New South Wales, Auxiliaries were attached to a particular diocese and by the 1980s were established in nineteen of the twenty four Australian dioceses. Initially, the funds raised went toward missionary training. More recently, they have been dedicated to specific projects such as the establishment of a training centre for lay, Indigenous evangelists
Women involved in this group often saw their role as far more than simple fund-raising including also education and prayer.
Since, from its inception, women were elected from the Auxiliary to the Board, information about the groups activities may be found in the general records of the Australia Board of Missions from 1910.
- Archives Office of Tasmania
- National Library of Australia, Ephemera Collection
- National Library of Australia
- Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection