- Occupation Welfare organisation
The Victorian Association of Benevolent Societies was formed as the result of the amalgamation of the Association of Victorian Benevolent Societies, which was established in 1911 and the Central Council of Victorian Benevolent Societies, which was formed in 1930. It became ‘the representative body for all affiliated branches in the country’. Mrs Eva Tilley, JP, was its founding president. The Association’s objectives were to present a united front on proposed legislation and regulation which might affect the work of the Benevolent Societies. The Association occupied rooms at 167 Collins Street, Melbourne. It worked to increase the number of local Benevolent Societies in order to meet the increasing need in the post World War Two period to relieve the distress of the unemployed, deserted wives and children, and into the 1960s, single mothers. It remained in operation until 1987, when reduced funding and lack of people prepared to assume positions on the executive, forced it to close. Its last address was Room 101, 10th Floor, Capitol House, 113 Swanston St, Melbourne.