- Born 21 December, 1881, Frensham Surrey England
- Died 26 September, 1971, Australia
- Occupation Artist, Headmistress
Winifred West arrived in Sydney in 1907 and took up work as an illustrator for the Australian Museum. In 1913 she founded the Frensham boarding school for girls at Mittagong, 120km out of Sydney. She remained there as headmistress until 1938. West built up a solid reputation based upon the philosophy of Frensham with its experimental curriculum and emphasis on the arts and physical education. She was a great inspiration to many of her students.
- Edited Book
- Faith, Hope and Charity Australian Women and Imperial Honours: 1901-1989, Australian Women's Archives Project, 2003, http://www.womenaustralia.info/exhib/honours/honours.html
- Trove: West, Winifred May (1881-1971), http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-752098
- West, Winifred Mary (1881-1971), Kennedy, Priscilla, 2006, http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A120500b.htm