- Occupation Lobby group, Professional Association, Women's Rights Organisation
The Business and Professional Women’s Club of Sydney (later BPW Sydney Club) was founded in 1939 with Dr Constance D’Arcy as its first president. Its general aims were to promote the interests of business and professional women; to alert them to their responsibilities in their own country and in world affairs; and to raise or maintain standards of education for women.
Like other such clubs, it was explicitly founded to provide a space for (largely elite) women’s networking, and to work for their professional interests. It has also worked for equal pay and employment opportunities for women. The club continues to work to elevate the status of women generally, remove discrimination and to present the views of business and professional women to government. It still also operates to provide a space for women’s networking.
At its foundation, the Club had 102 members, and, while early activities were devoted to war work, particularly fundraising, meetings were still held regularly. The issue of equal pay was a key concern in the postwar years, and the Club also made representations to government concerning sex discrimination the appointment of women to public boards and other bodies. It also formed an Advisory panel to give advice careers advice to girls and encouraged women to nominate for public office. They also established a scholarship fund for ‘Aboriginal girls’.
- Edited Book
- Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection
- Noel Butlin Archives Centre, Australian National University
- State Library of New South Wales