- Occupation Voluntary organisation
Founded in 1939, with Mrs Henrietta (Jessie) Daley as president, the National Council of Women of the Australian Capital Territory operates as an umbrella organisation for women’s groups in the Territory. It functions as a political lobby group, attempting to influence local, state and federal government.
Its eight initial affiliated societies were the Canberra Mothercraft Society, Canberra Relief Society, St John’s Church of England Ladies Guild, Presbyterian Church Ladies Guild, Canberra community Hospital Auxiliary, Canberra Croquet Club, Women’s Hockey Association and the Young Women’s Christian Association. The Woman’s Christian Temperance Union was another early member.
Some of its earliest issues of concern included censorship of films shown to children; offensive advertising; liquor trade reform; misbehaviour at the local swimming pool and the better provision of housing and other facilities in Canberra.
It was centrally involved in the foundation of institutions and services including the District Nursing Service, the Council of Social Service (ACT), the Child Guidance Clinic as well as services for the elderly.
It is affiliated with the National Council of Women Australia.
- From Lady Denman to Katy Gallagher: A Century of Women's Contributions to Canberra, Australian Women's Archives Project, 2013, http://www.womenaustralia.info/exhib/ldkg
- National Library of Australia, Manuscript Collection
- National Archives of Australia, National Office, Canberra
- Archives ACT
- ACT Heritage Library